Easy Read is used to help people with learning disabilities understand information easier.
People without learning disabilities sometimes like to read information in Easy Read format instead of Plain English or other formats.
Easy Read gives you the main information about something by removing the babble and complication.
Picture symbols are used with Easy Read words to create information which helps people understand the words better.
Easy Read uses some different formatting and text rules to create information compared with Plain English.
Easy Read Examples
|None Easy Read
Much the same as
With regard to
In the near future
Above all else
In addition to
So long as
No longer able
more or extra
The law says that people with a disability
must be treated fairly.
means something that makes it different in the way that a person does things.
Easy Read Top Ten Tips about Text
1. Keep the number of pages to 24 or less.
2. Sentences should be no more than ten to 15 words.
3. Each sentence should have just one idea and one verb.
4. Use a minimum font size of 14 point.
5. Use active sentences instead of passive sentences.
6. Remove words that are not needed. Keep removing words until the sentence works with the minimum amount of words.
7. Include a glossary of difficult words at the end of pages.
• Use full words instead of using only the first letter of each word.
Example: ERTS should be written as Easy Read Translation Services.
8. Explain what difficult words or ideas mean in the next sentence when you have to use them .
• Use bold and a contrasting colour together to highlight and and explain difficult words.
Example: The law says that people with a disability must be treated fairly.
Disability means something that makes it different in the way that a person does things.